The Aguilar Tone Hammer Preamp/Direct Box is a highly versatile and powerful tool for bass players. With a range of tone shaping options and the ability to add overdrive with the AGS circuit, it is the perfect choice for both live and studio use. Many users have praised the sweeping mids and the ease of dialing in their desired tone, making it an ideal choice for professional players.
One of the standout features of this preamp is its clean EQ, which allows users to accentuate the good parts of their tone while getting rid of the bad bits. This feature is especially appreciated by those who have previously been dissatisfied with their sound, as the Tone Hammer helps to give their tone the depth and warmth they have been searching for.
The AGS overdrive circuit is another notable aspect of this pedal, with some users describing it as “magic”. The gain boost is significant, which can make it challenging to use mid-song, but it provides a warm and gritty tone that works well with basses that have more treble output. However, it should be noted that some users have found that the AGS circuit doesn’t sound as good with basses that have a more mid-oriented output.
One of the main criticisms of this preamp is its lack of independent level output control for the clean and drive settings, as switching from clean to drive can result in a big level boost that some users don’t want. Despite this, many still consider it a valuable tool and rate it highly due to its overall sound quality.
Another point of praise for the Tone Hammer is its ease of use and versatility. The EQ section is described as musical and the mid sweep allows users to find exactly the tone they are looking for. Whether they want a clean or overdriven sound, the AGS circuit can be adjusted accordingly. Additionally, many users have found that this preamp can be used successfully with a wide range of basses, providing different results depending on the individual instrument.
Overall, the Aguilar Tone Hammer Preamp/Direct Box is a highly recommended tool for bass players of all levels. With its range of tone shaping options and powerful overdrive circuit, it is a versatile and effective solution for both live and studio use. The ability to shape your tone with ease and precision makes it a valuable addition to any bass rig.
- Versatile tone shaping options: The EQ section is musical and easy to dial in, with a mid sweep that allows players to find their desired tone.
- AGS overdrive circuit: The AGS circuit provides a warm, gritty overdrive that can add a touch of grit to a player’s sound.
- Compact and lightweight: The preamp is lightweight and easy to carry, making it perfect for gigging musicians who want to travel light.
- rfect for gigging musicians who want to travel light.Musical EQ section: The EQ section is musical and easy to use, allowing players to shape their tone with ease.
- Professional design: The preamp is thoughtfully designed for the professional player, with all the features a player needs to sound their best.
- Boosted levels: The AGS circuit does give a significant gain boost, which may not be ideal for using mid-song.
- Independent level output control: The preamp doesn’t have independent level output control for the clean and drive settings, which can be a drawback for some players.
- AGS reactivity: The AGS reacts differently depending on the bass, so it may not sound ideal with all basses.
- Not ideal for all playing styles: The AGS overdrive may not be suitable for all playing styles, and may not suit the needs of every player.
- Price: The preamp is relatively expensive compared to other options on the market, which may not be affordable for all players.
In conclusion, the Aguilar Tone Hammer Preamp/Direct Box is a highly versatile and well-designed pedal that has received praise from bass players all over the world. Its ease of use, musical EQ section, and ability to get either a clean or dirty tone make it the perfect tool for the professional player. The AGS (overdrive) circuit is capable of delivering either a mild or a more aggressive overdrive sound depending on the user’s preference. The sweepable mids and level output control are also considered significant benefits. The Tone Hammer has received high ratings from users who love its smooth and warm tone and its ability to turn a mediocre tone into a great one. The one drawback is the boost in level when switching from clean to drive. However, this can be easily remedied by careful control of the level output. Overall, the Aguilar Tone Hammer is a highly recommended tool for the serious bass player looking to enhance their sound.