As the world of guitar gear evolves, so does the od-200 Hybrid Drive. This digital pedal is designed to boost your tone while eliminating noise and distortion. In this in-depth review, we’ll be discussing the features of the od-200 Hybrid Drive, it pros and cons, and what it is all about. So if you’re looking for a pedal that can enhance your sound while eliminating noise and distortion, read on!
BOSS introduces a new generation of pedals with the 200 series that offer sophisticated sound and functionality in a compact form that takes up less room on your board. Operation is simple and intuitive thanks to grab-and-go controls and multi-function switches, while onboard memory allow you to store many configurations for instant recall. All 200 series pedals come with 32-bit internal processing and support for external control via footswitches, an expression pedal, or MIDI. They all include excellent audio quality.
The OD-200 Hybrid Drive, which combines decades of BOSS tone expertise with cutting-edge technology, provides next-generation sound, feel, and versatility to overdrive and distortion. This dream pedal offers any drive tone you can imagine via 12 primary modes, 15 boost types, series/parallel gain pathways, and more. It is powered by hybrid analog/digital circuitry. On board, there is also an advanced gate, which can be used to both eliminate noise and tighten strong-gain drive tones.
The BOSS 200 series now has more memory capacity for storing and recalling sounds thanks to the free Version 1.1 software update, which includes increased flexibility. There are currently 128 user configurations to choose from. MIDI program change may also be used to recall setups. Each 200 series pedal’s Version 1.1 update is accessible in the Downloads section.
- A broad range of drive tones is available from classic to contemporary in advanced hybrid design with analog and digital circuitry.
- Twelve fundamental drive modes with individual pre/post gain settings, as well as 15 boost types
- Unlimited gain shaping with selectable series or parallel boost structures
- Eliminating noise and tightening high-gain tones with a more advanced gate section
- With 32-bit AD/DA, 32-bit floating point processing, and 96 kHz sampling rate, it has the best sound quality in its class.
- The panel or MIDI program may be used to set up Access 128 user configurations.
- Through footswitch or dedicated panel button, you can recall previous memories and program the current panel.
- To prevent unintended modifications, the Panel Lock feature disables controls.
- Bypass, boost, memory selection, and other functions are all customizable on multi-function footswitches.
- External footswitches, an expression pedal, and MIDI support for more flexible control
- With the mini TRS jacks (BMIDI-5-35 adaptor cable available separately), full MIDI I/O is provided.
- For firmware updates, there is a Micro USB jack.
- Runs on three AA batteries or a PSA-series AC adaptor
BOSS’ Advanced Hybrid Design is used in Premium Drive Tones
By combining analog and digital clipping circuits in a single hybrid design, the OD-200 delivers a limitless range of expressive drive colors in the palm of your hand. A high-gain Brown mode based on the acclaimed Katana amplifier series is among the twelve modes, which provide a range of premium overdrive, fuzz, and distortion sounds. You’ll get better definition, clarity, and dynamic response when you switch to BOSS’ three high-performance “X” drive modes, which are powered by MDP technology.
Series and parallel boosts are used to create powerful gain shaping
You may produce tones much more with 15 switchable boost circuits, which each of the OD-200’s 12 primary drive modes sound fantastic on its own. By routing the gain in series, you may produce conventional stacked drive voices with a post-gain level to keep the volume consistent during solos. The boost circuit may also be utilized in conjunction with the primary mode, allowing for limitless variation in distinct drive effects.
back to menu ↑
Kill the Noise and Tighten Your Tone
When you’re not playing, the OD-200 maintains your signal clean and quiet thanks to its integrated gate circuit. The default position offers smooth, transparent gating that suits most playing styles and is a fantastic place to begin. When required, the decay and threshold settings may also be modified to deliver precision staccato riffing in tight modern genres that combine full-throttle gain with speed.
back to menu ↑
Dial in Sounds Fast
The OD-200 has a lot of sophisticated features, yet it remains as simple to use as any basic distortion stomp. With precise controls, you may adjust the gain and overall level for any selected mode in a matter of seconds, before sculpting the tone with broad-ranging low, mid, and high EQ. The operation of the module is altered depending on the group selected using the panel’s parameter switch and LED status indicators. There is also a multi-function parameter knob.
back to menu ↑
Saving and recalling favorite setups is very simple
With 127 user memories and a real-time panel setting, the OD-200 allows you to create 128 different configurations. For scrolling access from a footswitch, any range of consecutive memories and the panel setting can be assigned. You may also restrict the scrolling range, which will aid in quicker recall, or you may simply assign memories. Setup may also be quickly recalled using program change messages from an external MIDI device if you want more control.
back to menu ↑
Deep Real-Time Control
By default, the OD-200’s multi-function footswitches are used to bypass, boost on/off, and memory scroll, however you may easily reconfigure them to other tasks if necessary. Footswitches and an expression pedal can be used to control virtually any aspect of the machine, while MIDI I/O is available on space-saving mini TRS jacks. You may link multiple 200 series pedals and manage different functions from MIDI devices like the ES-8 and ES-5 effects switchers using MIDI, allowing you to connect several 200 series pedals at once and select memories on all of them.
back to menu ↑
OD-200 Drive Modes
- Overdrive—Natural tube-style overdrive with asymmetrical clipping.
- Blues has a broad tonal range and is highly expressive overdrive sound.
- Scream—Smooth overdrive sound with mid-focused tone.
- Klon Centaur sound sample used to create Cntr OD – Mild drive.
- BOSS’ Multi-Dimensional Processing (MDP) is used in X-Drive, which boosts string separation, clarity, and dynamic response.
- Distortion is ideal for a variety of styles, and it’s cutting distortion.
- X-Distortion—MDP technology provides an unparalleled playing experience that analog distortion pedals cannot match.
- From sparkly clean to a thick vintage roar, Stack Drive has a distinctive British stack sound.
- Fat Distortion is a thick, tight distortion effect that works great for riffs and solos.
- Brown’s lead sound is based on the original British stack amp, with significantly more gain and razor-sharp definition.
- X-Metal—MDP-based modern sound with superior clarity and string definition, even at maximum gain settings, X-Metal.
- The rich sustain and huge, round tone of Fuzz create a bold fuzz sound.
*The trademarks or trademark owners mentioned on this page have registered their product names. The terms are employed since they are the most straightforward way of explaining the sounds imitated.back to menu ↑
SPECIFICATIONS OD-200 Hybrid Drive
|Sampling Frequency||96 kHz|
|AD/DA Conversion||32 bits|
|Processing||32-bit floating point|
|Drive Circuit||Analog + Digital|
|Modes||12 modes OVERDRIVE, BLUES, SCREAM, CNTR OD, X-DRIVE, DIST, X-DIST, STACK DRIVE, FAT DIST, BROWN, X-METAL, FUZZ|
|Memory||127 + Manual|
|Nominal Input Level||INPUT: -10 dBu|
|Maximum Input Level||INPUT: +7 dBu|
|Input Impedance||INPUT: 1 M ohm|
|Nominal Output Level||OUTPUT: -10 dBu|
|Maximum Output Level||OUTPUT: +7 dBu (Load Impedance: 220 k ohms or greater)|
|Output Impedance||OUTPUT: 1 k ohms|
|Recommended Load Impedance||OUTPUT: 10 k ohms or greater|
|Controls||ON/OFF switch, MEMORY/BOOST switch MODE knob, DRIVE knob, LEVEL knob, PARAM knob, LOW knob, MIDDLE knob, HIGH knob PARAM button, MEMORY button|
|Display||7 segments, 3 characters (LED)|
|Indicator||PARAM indicator, MEMORY (MAN, 1--4) indicators|
|Connectors||INPUT jack, OUTPUT jack: 1/4-inch phone type CTL 1, 2/EXP jack: 1/4-inch TRS phone type MIDI (IN, OUT) jacks: Stereo miniature phone type DC IN jack USB port: USB micro B-type (program update only)|
|Power Supply||Alkaline battery (AA, LR6) x 3, AC adaptor (sold separately)|
|Current Draw||220 mA|
|Expected Battery Life Under Continuous Use||Alkaline: Approx. 6 Hours * These figures will vary depending on the actual conditions of use.|
|Accessories||Owner's Manual Leaflet "USING THE UNIT SAFELY" Alkaline battery (AA, LR6) x 3 Rubber foot x 4|
|Options (sold separately)||AC adaptor: PSA-S series Footswitch: FS-5U Dual footswitch: FS-6, FS-7 Expression pedal: FV-500H, FV-500L, EV-30, Roland EV-5 MIDI/TRS connecting cable: BMIDI-5-35, BMIDI-1-35, BMIDI-2-35, BCC-1-3535, BCC-2-3535|
|Width||101 mm 4 inches|
|Depth||138 mm 5-7/16 inches|
|Height||63 mm 2-1/2 inches|
|Height (including rubber foot)||65 mm 2-9/16 inches|
|Weight||600 g 1 lb 6 oz|
|Weight (including battery)||670 g 1 lb 8 oz|